Monday, November 12, 2007

"Towering performance"

This guy is a web regular. From his review of Gandhi My Father:

Akshaye Khanna delivers a towering performance and one that truly reflects his talent and ability as an actor. However one feels sorry for him in the second half as he’s reduced in the background often coming across as inconsequential in the proceedings, however that more the fault of Khan’s story than anything else. His initial sequences are heart-warming, and one feels for Harilal as he tries to keep a control of his life in a very confused state. His drunken sequences are touching. However I do feel somewhat disappointed as I was expecting this to be a performance that competes with the heavyweights of the year however sadly it’s not.

I do agree that the second half fizzled out in terms of Akshaye's role but does that take away from Akshaye's achievement? I think not. Can't imagine any other actor not floundering under such a heavy handicap. It reminds me of a comment I posted here earlier that Akshaye's performances suffer from insanely high expecatations.

I agree that given a better second half, Akshaye could have scored a monumental triumph, but it is quite inaccurate to say that his performance doesn't match up with the year's heavyweights.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like say that Akshaye Khanna did his best in all his movies including Border, Dil Chahta Hai, Humraazz, Deewangee, Salaam-E-Ishq, and Gandhi, My Father. But, it's the director who did not paid attention to Akshaye Khanna's best way of performing. I mean, for instance, Farah Khan tries her best to show the best Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone so that both critics and audiences appreciate them and their films and find no faults.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Saif has interfered with the promotions of Race

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/november/166758.htm

Anonymous said...

This was the original poster

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9356/raceadwe7.png

Now this is the new poster

http://i.indiafm.com/firstlook/race.jpg

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have seen the poster of Race at India FM. It has Saif Ali Khan and Bipasha Basu not Akshaye Khanna! That's not fair!